Monday, March 25, 2019

Chapter 08: Fight or Flight


“Eva Austin. I don’t know, it has a nice ring to it. Then again, so does Michelle Brand,” Tobias smirked, folding his arms into his chest.

“Ok. Are these clients?”

“Interesting. I was curious how you’d react but, flat out denial? Tsk, tsk. You should do better, ‘Hannah’.” Digging into his right breast pocket, he pulled out a couple of pictures and showed them to her. “You’re pretty photogenic. And red hair; it’s quite fetching on you.”

“Where’d you get those?” Alexa asked, already knowing the answer.


“I had a little chat with an old friend of yours. He had quite a few things to say about you, Eva. What’s that now? Three identities? What are you some sort of black widow?”

“Tobias, I don’t know what you think you know, but…”

“HANNAH!” Gavin called as he arrived at the restaurant. He waved at her with a smile, tucked his keys into his pocket and started over.

“I know more than you think. But, I’m willing to keep my mouth shut IF you play ball.”

“What do you want, Tobias?”


“Hey,” Gavin pecked Alexa’s cheek before nodding toward Tobias.

“Well, aren’t you two just the cutest?” Tobias smirked. Patting his pocket, he gave Alexa a pointed look before backing away. “We’ll finish this conversation later.”

“Are you ok?” Gavin asked, gently stroking her arms.

“Yeah. Fine.”

“You look beautiful.”

“Thank you,” Alexa beamed, leaning into Gavin’s chest. “You always know the right things to say.”

“It’s both a gift and a curse,” he smiled and leaned down to kiss her lips. “Come on. I only have 45 minutes and I need to get my rib on!”


After lunch, Alexa met Kasper at the same block and together, they drove back to his hotel. “He didn’t leave,” he stated, unlocking the door and following her inside. “He started to and all signs pointed to yes but…about twenty minutes in, he got a phone call that seemed to change his mind.”

“Do you know who it was?”

“Yes, and so do you. Listen.” Kasper hit play on his computer and soon after Alexa heard Tobias’ voice.


Hello?
She went for it. I showed her the pictures and just like you said she was putty in my hands.
You need to be careful; play this thing straight. Eva is…well let’s just say she’s good about getting what she wants.
Not this time. This time, she’ll do what I want or else I’ll expose her and she knows it.
I’m telling you. You may think you’re on top now but that might be exactly what she wants you to think. We’re playing her game, don’t forget that.
Don’t worry about it. I have that bitch just where I want her. I’ll take care of everything on my end. You just be ready to step in when it’s time.
Yeah.
The call ended and Alexa took a step back. “Son of a bitch! They’re in this together?”


“Alexa, now might be the best time to get out of town. Cut our losses and just go.”

“Go? Are you crazy? I’m not being run off by a vengeful ex and a brown-nosing asshole. They want to fight, then I’m gonna show them exactly who they are fucking with.”

“What’s the play here?”

“Tobias is a womanizer. Hell, it wasn’t ten minutes after I met him that he tried his game on me.”

“You’re going to seduce him?” Kasper asked, following Alexa’s train of thought.

“No, he’s too smart for that; he’ll be expecting it. No. I’m going to play into his fantasy that he’s some irresistible love god,” she replied, glancing out the window. “He needs to feel in control and there’s only one thing you need to go after with a power-hungry man.”

“And Nolan?”

“Leave Nolan to me.”


“Babe, are you ok? You’ve been pretty quiet tonight. Everything ok at work?” Gavin asked, gently rubbing Alexa’s stomach.

“Yeah. As good as it can be, I guess. Why?”

“I was just wondering. I saw you talking to Tobias earlier and it seemed…tense.”

“Yeah.”

“Babe, talk to me. What’s up?”

“Tobias has…something on me.”

“Come on, Hannah, you gotta give me more than that,” he replied, lowering the volume on the television. “What’s going on?”


“Nolan went to Tobias and gave him some old pictures of me and now he’s threatening me with them.”

“That son-of-a-bitch. Did you explain to him who Nolan was to you?”

“No. I didn’t feel that was any of his business. I just…I just want to get my pictures back and for him to leave me alone,” she replied, sliding away. “I just need this to end.”

“Alright, I can talk to him and…”

“No, Gavin. No. I don’t want to involve you anymore than I already have. I can take care of this on my own, please.”

“Hannah, I wanna help you. Please. Justlet me do this.”


“Gavin, you and Tobias don’t have the best relationship. I mean, you hit him at a very public event and embarrassed him in front of a lot of people. I don’t think you talking to Tobias would get me anything but more headaches. I’m sorry, I’ll handle it, but thank you for offering. It means a lot to me that you did.”

“Of course, babe. There isn’t anything I wouldn’t do for you.”

“I’m tired. I think I’m going to bed,” Alexa replied, standing. “You coming?”

“In a second. I missed the game earlier and I wanted to catch the scores.”

“Ok.” 


The next morning, Alexa dressed and headed over to see Kasper, eager to put their plan into motion. “Everything all set?” she asked, closing the door behind her. Kasper was sitting at his computer, his fingers fast at work.

“All set on my end. I’ve hacked Tobias’ emails and downloaded his schedule for tomorrow night. You get the girl?”

“Yep. Ashley, a young, blonde, ditzy, ingénue. I requested that she be really flirtatious and flattering. Tobias will eat it up.”

“Good. We’re ready then. All we have to do now is sit back and watch him destroy himself.”


“Gavin! Long time no see. If you’re looking for Hannah, she’s not he—” Gavin quickly jerked the lawyer by his collar and threw him against the wall.

“Listen up, you repulsive piece of shit,” he growled, slamming him hard enough for his teeth to rattle in his skull. “Whatever you’re doing to Hannah, whatever threats you’ve made or pictures you are blackmailing her with ends now.”

“You have no idea what you’re talking about. Hannah is not who she says…”

“I DIDN’T ASK YOU!” Gavin yelled. Several people in the office turned at the raised voices, wondering what all the commotion was about. “Hand over the pictures and I’ll CONSIDER not kicking your ass this time.”


Tobias nodded his head as Gavin lowered him to the ground. Frantically, he moved around his desk, collecting the items Nolan had given him and turned them over to Gavin. “Is this everything?” Gavin asked, shaking the envelope in his hands.

“Yes. That’s everything! Take it and go!”

“Copies; you make any?”

“No. Like I said that’s it!”

“If I find out you’re lying to me I’m coming back. Stay the fuck away from Hannah. Don’t make me tell you again.”


Alexa returned to work amid chatter and office gossip. Something occurred in the first hours of the day that had everyone in an uproar. Ignoring the strange looks and whispers from her co-workers, she made her way to her office, catching Tobias just as he was finishing the cleanup. “What’s going on? Why is everyone staring at me?”

“I don’t know. Maybe it has something to do with you sending your boyfriend to do your dirty work.”

“Excuse me? Gavin did this?” she asked, noticing the paperwork scattered all over the floor.

“Drop the act, Hannah. I’m on to you. And if you think for one second this is over between us, you’ve got another thing coming!” Tobias warned and slammed his door shut.


“Shit.” Alexa whispered and slowly backed out of the hall. Gavin. Making a beeline toward the parking lot, she jumped behind the wheel of her Audi A8 and sped toward Jack Jones’ Autos. Gavin had just finished parking a completed SUV before heading back inside when he saw her pulling in and greeted her with a smile and wave.

“Hannah? Hey, what are you…?”

“You went after Tobias after I specifically asked you not to? What the hell were you thinking?” Alexa yelled, cornering him in the parking lot.

“I was thinking that you needed my help and I wasn’t about to let that asshole push you around.”

“It wasn’t your problem, Gavin!”


“That’s where you’re wrong, Hannah, it IS my problem. We’re together. And I don’t know what kind of relationships you’re used to but to me when one of us is in trouble BOTH of us are in trouble,” he replied, pulling his back from against the wall. “Here.” Gavin handed her a small white envelope from his back pocket.

Alexa pulled the flap open and sighed as she flipped through the pictures. “Tobias?” Gavin nodded. “How did you…?”

“I made him realize crossing me would be a bad thing.”

“Gavin…” Alexa smiled and threw her arms around his neck.

“Wait, Hannah, I’m dirty,” he said, trying to back away.


“I don’t care. It’s just a dress,” she said, pressing her lips against his. “Thank you. This was very sweet of you.” 

“It was nothing.”

“That’s not true. This is everything,” Alexa replied, glancing away and sinking into her head. “Jesus. I don’t deserve you. Not even a little bit.” Gavin’s eyes narrowed and she shook off other dark thoughts before looking up at him. “I’m sorry I flew off the handle like that I just thought…”

“It’s ok, Hannah,” he smiled and took her hand. “I just hope this business between you and Tobias is at its end.”


“Me too.” Alexa sighed and squeezed the envelope between her fingers as she resumed eye contact with him. “Did you look at them?”

“No. It’s none of my business what’s in there.”

“Weren’t you even a little curious?”

“Maybe a little…but, I don’t need to know who you were then to know who you are now.”

Alexa sighed. If only he knew how wrong he was. Everything about her now was in direct relation to who she was then. It was the past that shaped Alexa Hughes. But, as always, he was being genuine. Something she wished she could try. Instead, it just added one more thing to the list of reasons why the two of them were so different. “Thank you, Gavin.” 


Alexa gave him another kiss and went on her way. She had work to do. Not only for her assignment at the State’s Attorney’s office, but she needed to put an end to Tobias and Nolan’s plans. And it all hinged on Ashley’s performance tomorrow night, but first, she needed to make a stop. “Hello, Nolan.”

He stood in the doorway of the rundown motel with a beer in his hand and a smile on his face. “Eva. I knew you’d come running to me eventually.”

“You mean after you threw my life into a tail spin? What else did you expect?”

“Yeah? How does that feel? You know I almost thought I had the wrong girl that day. You look so…different,” he grinned and gave her body the once over. “But that ass—I could never forget that gorgeous ass of yours.”

“May I come in?” He stepped away from the door and allowed Alexa inside. 


“I’d offer you a beer but I’m kinda short on funds right now so I just have the one. Then again, you were always a Jim Beam girl. I liked that about you.”

“It’s fine. I won’t be long anyway. That’s new,” she said, referencing the tattoo on his back.

“Ill-advised night of drunken debauchery; landed me in the drunk tank for the night and court the Friday after.”

“Did it hurt?”

“What do you want, Eva?” Nolan asked, cutting through the bullshit. 

“To talk,” she said and took a look around. “Nice place. It’s a lot less cozy than the Sheridan but different strokes I suppose.” 


“So that WAS you. I had my suspicions. You know, everyone back home tried to warn me about you; said you were much darker than I could see. I didn’t get that until now.”

“Yeah, well this was retaliation.”

“For what? Losing the love of my life? Battling severe bouts of depression? Being run out of my home by the parents of victimized kids who, to this day, believe I’m some kiddy diddler? Or getting punched in the face by your new boyfriend?” Nolan retorted, inching closer to where Alexa stood. “Go on, Eva, I’m listening. Tell me for which of my many sins am I paying for?”

“I’m sorry,” Alexa whispered and dropped her head.

“Excuse me, what was that? A little louder please for those of us in the back.”


“I said I’m sorry!” she nearly shouted. “I’m sorry, Nolan. I never…” Alexa sighed and took a deep breath to keep herself from crying. “I never meant to hurt you, Nolan, but I couldn’t stay there; not with you.”

“See this is what I don’t understand. Weren’t we happy? I mean…I proposed to you! By all definitions of the word, I was happy! I thought you were too.”

“I was; for a while. But it wasn’t real. I wasn’t. I was running from something or to something but either way…I didn’t feel as though I fit into your life.”

“So, you used me.”

“Not intentionally.”


“Well intentional or not it hurt, Eva, it still hurts.” Nolan dropped to the edge of the bed and bowed his head. “I have been so stupid. For so long I was holding on to this idea of us being together. Thinking that you ran off because my proposal scared you and that if I could just get five minutes alone with you, I could convince you to come back to me. Pretty pathetic right?”

“No, Nolan, it’s not pathetic at all,” Alexa replied, dropping to the bed beside him. “I’m glad that I was able to give you that but I am so incredibly sorry I didn’t tell you then. I’m sorry that I chickened out and just left you there alone. And I guess I can tell you that until I’m blue in the face but it wouldn’t change anything.”

“Yeah well at least now I know where I stand,” Nolan sighed and took a sip from his bottle. 


“Look, I know you were angry at me…”

“Yeah, Eva, I wasHannahwhy’d you change your name?”

“I was looking for a new life.”

“Well did you find what you were looking for? Does Gavin make you happy?”

“Why does that matter?”

“Because I want to know, Eva. Are you happy with him?”

“I am,” she admitted.


“That’s good,” he sighed. “I’m happy for you.” He smiled warmly and Alexa noticed him wince before drawing a pull from the bottle in his hand.

“Does it hurt?” she asked, pointing toward his eye.

“Not as bad as it looks,” he said, touching the spot just beneath. “At least I know you’ve got yourself a guy that can take care of you.”

Alexa gently rubbed Nolan’s back and leaned forward, placing a kiss on his cheek. He glanced at her, his eyes still smiling and returned the gesture, this time meeting briefly with her lips. He moaned against her mouth before pulling away with a sigh. “Nolan, you gave Tobias pictures of me…”


“Yeah, I’mI’m sorry about that. I was pissed. I finally find you after five years and you just brushed me off the way you did. It hurt. So, I wanted to hurt you.”

“It’s ok. I deserved it. I just—I need to know what exactly did you say to him?”

“I told him everything I knew about you back then. That guy doesn’t seem to like you very much.”

“Yeah, I know. My first day at the job he came on to me. And ever since I rebuffed his advances with a knee to the crotch, he’s had it out for me.”


“Shit. And I didn’t make it easier. We went out to some bar and had a few drinks. I explained how I met you and everything and he asked if I had anything on you…I thought he meant pictures and so that’s what I gave him. But he called me the other day talking about ruining your life and your career…I just—I don’t know. He’s really got a bug up his ass about you.”

“Yeah. I’ll figure it out. For now, I need to concentrate on making things right with you.”

Nolan stomped his foot, smashing a bug beneath the heel of his boot and sighed. “Do you think you can start with getting me my money back? This place is a dump.”

“I’ll do you one better.” Alexa contacted Kasper and explained her idea. She wanted to get Nolan set up with a new home, job, and a bank account that would keep him worry-free for the remainder of his life. Nolan picked the place. Aspen, Colorado. The dream he’d talked about so long with Eva Austin was finally coming true; aside from having the woman he loved. The two parted on good terms but he’d left Alexa with a lot to think about.


What a fraud, she thought of herself as she stepped into the cool, afternoon air. All this time she believed herself some saint; a defender of the helpless, righting wrongs and injustice. When in reality, she was just the opposite. Those weak, and vulnerable many she thought herself saving she was actually creating.

She should have known. She had never given thought to those left behind after Michelle Brand, Eva Austin…Hannah Taylor  packed up and moved on. And worst of all, she could see Gavin Stark mirrored in Nolan Keene. The people she got close to on her missions, they were all innocent pawns in her game of revenge. All helpless victims left to deal with the fall out her crimes created. This time would be different, she vowed. This time, there would be no casualties of war.

<----Previous -- Continue---->

4 comments:

  1. Awesome couple of chapters! You write SO well!
    Gavin is such a sweetheart! <3 A good man. Alexa really doesn't deserve him...especially when she keeps hiding her secrets. I get the feeling if she'd just come clean to Gavin, sure he'd be upset for a bit, but he'd still want to be with her. Help her change.
    It was sweet what she did for Nolan, I was beginning to wonder if it was sincere or all just an act. ;)
    TELL GAVIN THE TRUTH ALEXA! :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love that you're still reading and enjoying the story.

      Gavin is the real deal. Poor Alexa really stepped into with this mission. She fell in love with a mark that she's been lying to from the start and yeah...very sticky situation. It's very possible Gavin would be forgiving. He genuinely is in love with Alexa.

      Nolan forced Alexa to actually take a look at what she's really been doing since starting on her path of revenge. Although, credit to Gavin for making her admit her feelings and bring her emotions to the surface. She really wanted to make up for what she put him through and thanks to Kasper, Nolan gets a clean start.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, finally all caught up. I wonder if she told Gavin the truth if he'd join her on the quest to right the wrongs that were done. Tobias needs a lesson dealt to him soon before he goes too far. I hope Alexa can come clean and maybe just for once she can be Alexa and have happiness and have love and happiness. I can't wait to read the next chapter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how game he'd be for killing people (without a damned good reason). But Gavin does care for her very much. He'd likely try to help in other ways.

      Tobias is about to get his lesson and soon back off of Alexa.

      Alexa would like that very much but, she has compounded so many lies on top of the other, where would she begin?

      Thank you for reading :D

      Delete