Monday, March 11, 2019

Chapter 06: Web of Lies


“All set?” Gavin asked, tossing the keys around in his hands with a smile.

“Yes! Let’s do this!” Alexa replied cheerfully as she folded the blanket in her hands and slipped into the passenger seat. Gavin waited for her to get comfortable, shut her door and happily danced around the front bumper, making her laugh, before sliding in beside her. “Someone’s giddy.”

“I admit it, I am. I’m just itching to see what this puppy can do!”

“Well, be gentle. You don’t want to scare her the first time out.”


Gavin smirked at the double entendre, revved the engine and started down the driveway. Before long they were on the winding Douglas Boulevard heading toward Sierra Sands Park. “Wooohoohoooo!” Gavin’s eyes lit up as he took each turn of the freeway with ease. The lithe body of the Pagani maneuvered smoothly over the changing terrain and hugged the road like a second skin. “Best. Present. EVER!” he exclaimed, pushing the gas harder until the speedometer read 93 mph. Zigging and zagging through traffic, he yearned to see just how fast he could top out.

“Ok, Evel Knievel, let’s slow it down a little. I’d like to make it to the beach in one piece.”

“Yes, ma’am.” He gave her a smile and eased off the gas a little. Taking Alexa’s hand, Gavin tenderly rubbed it before bringing it to his lips and softly kissing her knuckles. “Thank you for this. Really. I don’t think I can ever say that enough.”


“You’re very welcome, baby. And seeing that smile on your face is repayment enough.” He kissed her hand again and pulled into the parking lot across the street from the beach.

“We’re here. And look, we made it in one piece!” Gavin got out first and assisted Alexa. Grabbing the cooler, he followed behind her as she led them down the sun-bleached wooden staircase and onto the warm, golden sand. “It’s a beautiful day out.”

“It really is,” she agreed, watching the waves roll to shore. Several families and couples crowded the coastline around them and they continued walking until they found a spot that wasn’t so packed. Noticing Gavin’s eyes on a group of surfers running back to shore, Alexa giggled and tapped his shoulder, drawing his attention. “Do you surf?”

“Nope! You?”

“Not even a little.”


“I’ve always been fascinated though.”

“Well, maybe if you asked, they’d be willing to show you a few tricks,” Alexa suggested.

“Maybe.” Gavin set the cooler down on the sand and wiped his forehead on the towel draped across his shoulder. “Woo! It’s a scorcher. Remind me again why we decided to come out here today?”

“Because I promised to show you my new teeny, weeny bikini,” she teased.

“Oh yeah…that’s right,” he smirked at the playful way she shook her hips. 

“Plus, you wanted to go somewhere far so you could test your new baby, Baby.”


“And you buried the lede!” he laughed when Alexa pouted and called him a jerk, apologizing before she completely covered his feet in dirt. “Can I get you anything?”

“Just a water please.”

“One water, coming right up!” he replied, turning the lid back and sliding his hand around the ice. “Except, I didn’t get any water; all beer here,” Gavin smiled sheepishly as he slammed the cooler lid shut.

“Well, lucky for you, there’s a vendor near the parking lot,” Alexa suggested and straightened her towel beside his.

“Alright. You finish here and I’ll run and get some water.” Stealing a quick peck, Gavin trotted toward the Sand Dollar Café. Alexa tossed a smile at him over her shoulder, grabbed her bag and started down toward a changing room near the pier. Quickly she slipped into her bathing suit and grabbed her belongings to head back to Gavin. 


“Eva Austin.” Alexa froze in place hearing a name from her past and a voice she never thought she’d hear again over her right shoulder. Instead of turning to look, she continued moving forward, putting on her poker face. “Is that how you’re gonna play this, Eva? Ignore me and hope that I go away. Not uh, it won’t be so easy. Not this time.”

Alexa turned with a slightly confused look on her face and brushed a strand of her golden hair behind her ear. “I’m sorry, you were speaking to me?”

“Cute. You know damn well I was talking to you, Eva.” Reaching forward, the man tugged at her blonde tresses, twirling a loop around his finger before releasing it and watching it bounce against her cheek. “I never would have pegged you for a blonde but it doesn’t look bad. I gotta say though, I liked the red better.”


“I really think you have me confused with someone else, Mr…”

“Nolan. And cut the shit, Eva or ‘Hannah’ or whatever you choose to call yourself these days.” Alexa grinned and slowly wet her lips with her tongue. “Yeah. I know. It’s a pretty sweet deal you got going for yourself here huh? What is it? Convincing these Richie Riches that you’re some sweet, down home southern belle so you can fleece them out of millions? No…that’s not it. You were never interested in money. No. Your game is to get close to someone, real close. So close that they don’t even know they’re being played until it’s too late.”

“I’m sorry to disappoint you, Nolan, whoever you are, but I’m not the girl you think I am.” Alexa hastily glanced over her shoulder to check where Gavin was before inching away from where Nolan stood. 


“Yeah. You’re exactly the girl that I think you are.” Alexa turned and strode quickly toward her beach towel, trying to keep from cracking as she came face-to-face with her past. “I needed you, Eva! Mitchell died and you just vanished. Do you have any idea how hard it was for me? I was mourning a man who was like a father to me and the only woman I’d ever loved up and took off without so much as a forwarding address. Oh. But you did leave the engagement ring. That was nice of you. You could have just said no, Eva, and I would have been ok with that. I was happy with you. If you didn’t want to move things to the next level we could have just left it as it was and I would have STILL been happy with you!” 


“LOOK! I said I don’t know you so please, leave me alone!” Alexa stopped herself before she screamed and made a scene. She turned again to check for Gavin and was surprised to see him heading right toward her. Apparently, she had shouted a little louder than she intended and he was making a beeline back to their umbrella. 

“Here you go, babe,” Gavin handed her a bottle but even as he addressed her, he never took his eyes off the man standing in front of her. “Gavin.” He stuck his hand out toward the stranger, not waiting on a formal introduction.

“Nolan,” he smiled and glanced at Alexa before taking Gavin’s outstretched hand. “So, you’re the new guy, eh?”


Gavin’s eyes quickly darted to Alexa’s and she turned suddenly, avoiding his gaze. And, as if a switch was flipped, Gavin erupted and Nolan’s head snapped back. “GAVIN!” Alexa gasped. Blood instantly poured from Nolan’s nose and he jerked back. Attempting to wind up a punch of his own, Nolan was met by Gavin’s angry fist once more. This time he connected with Nolan’s jaw and sent Alexa’s ex careening to the ground.

Nolan swiftly crab crawled away from Gavin’s lunge, just barely moving out of his reach and another devastating blow. Alexa grabbed Gavin by the arm and pulled him back toward her. Instinctively, he placed her behind him, keeping himself between the two as he prepared to engage Nolan once more. “Whoa, what the fuck is your problem?” Nolan yelled, dabbing his fingers against his quickly swelling nose and lip.


“My problem? You’ve got some fucking nerve! I can’t believe you’d actually show your face around here.”

“Oh…so she told you then?” Nolan laughed, darting his tongue over the split on his lip before spitting a mouthful of blood to the sand. “You actually told him about us, Eva? Man, I would love to have been a fly on that wall.”

“You have about 3 seconds to get the hell out of here before a couple of St. Claire’s finest are carrying your ass out in cuffs.” Gavin motioned over Nolan’s shoulder and he skimmed briefly toward the Sand Dollar Café and spotted the pair of police officers making their rounds.

“Fine. I’ll go. But this isn’t over.”

“If you value your remaining teeth, it better be.” Gavin waited until the man disappeared from sight before turning his attention toward Alexa. “Are you alright?”


“Yes, yes, I’m fine,” she sighed, rubbing her hands over her arms. “I can’t believe you did that.”

“Yeah,” he replied, pulling her against him protectively. “Was that him? The ex?”

“You mean you hit the guy without knowing who he was?”

“Well…I guess I sort of assumed. You didn’t seem too happy to see him. I kinda put two and two together. Was I right? Was that the guy?”

“Yeah. That—that was the guy,” Alexa lied and leaned her head against Gavin’s shoulder. “I don’t know how he found me.”

“Don’t worry about that right now. We’ll figure it out. The only thing I’m concerned with right now is making sure you’re ok.”


“I’m fine, Gavin, really. You just…you shouldn’t have hit him. There’s no telling what he’ll do.”

“Honestly, I wasn’t thinking. I saw you in distress and reacted.” He squeezed her tighter against him and she inhaled deeply, her mind was racing. Nolan Keene. He had tracked her down. Of all the people she’d come into contact with, Nolan would have been the last she’d think capable of that. And with such ease. The only means as to how that she could think of was that news broadcast a couple months back. Dammit! K assured her he’d take care of it. But there was no use crying over spilled milk. He was here now and she needed to make sure he left before a bigger problem arose. “You’re shaking.”

“I’m…just…”


“Let’s get you home.” Gathering up their belongings, Gavin led Alexa to the car and drove her back to his parents’ place. The ride home was done in silence, which, Alexa was grateful for. She was sure Gavin would have a million questions. Questions, to which, she would have no answers or just more lies. “Why don’t you head on up, Hannah. I’ll bring the stuff inside.”

“Thanks, Gavin.” Alexa smiled stiffly and quickly trotted up the drive toward the house. She hurried upstairs to her room and her computer. Kasper needed to be made aware of this latest development so that together they could figure out how to make it go away. 


Are you serious?

“Showed up at the beach out of nowhere!”

That’s a huge problem, A.

“Tell me about it.”

Did he seem upset? Did he tell you what he wanted?

“No and no. He seemed hurt mostly…more so after Gavin clocked him.”

Jesus, A. What are we gonna do?

“Your guess is as good as mine.”


Alexa paused, hearing Gavin yelling something to his mom just outside the door.

“I gotta run. I’ll swing by your hotel a little later tonight and we can discuss this more in person.”

See ya.


She hastily stashed her laptop inside her purse and jumped up. When Gavin opened the door, he found her pacing back and forth in front of the bed. Alexa turned to him with a sigh. “I have to get out of here.”

“What? No. Hannah.” Gavin moved forward quickly and tried his best to soothe Alexa. Calmly, he stroked her arms and gently caressed her hair but Alexa was too wound up to be mollified.

“I knew he’d find me, Gavin. I knew this wouldn’t be over. See, this is why I told you I needed to leave. I can’t do this. I can’t be here with him lurking somewhere in this city. And if by some miracle he tracks me here to your parents’ house, what then? I can’t be responsible for him hurting them or one of your siblings because of me, I just can’t.”

“Hannah, we’ll figure it out.”

“No. No this…this is my problem, not yours. I need to go. I need to get out of here.”


“Fine, we’llget a hotel room some place, maybe outside the city. We can stay there until the police pick him up. I have a friend in the department. I’ll call and give him a heads up; let him know to be on the lookout for that lunatic,” he replied as he began dialing a number. “It’ll all be ok, you’ll see.” The phone rang three times before his friend picked up. “Kirk, hey it’s Gavin.” Alexa waited for Gavin to turn his back and snatched up her bag. Moving fast, she hurried out the door and down the stairs. “Hannah?”

“I can’t, Gavin, I’m sorry. I can’t go with you. I have to do this alone,” she shouted over her shoulder as he rushed after her.

“Hannah!”

“I’ll call you.”

“Hannah, wait!” Alexa hurriedly started her car. She was peeling rubber down the driveway before Gavin made it out the front door. “HANNAH!”


It didn’t take long for Alexa to make it to Kasper’s hotel room. He’d already gotten to work on a solution for getting Nolan out of town. “Nolan Keene,” he sighed, reading the name on the computer screen in front of him. “I can’t believe he tracked you down.”

“You and me both.”

“You must have done a real number on the guy.”

“He proposed.” Kasper turned with a frown and Alexa shrugged. “He thought I was the one he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. I guess he thought I felt the same. It was, after all, what I was being paid for.”

“Really? Because I thought you were hired to take out his surrogate father, Mitchell Grossman.”


Alexa sighed and dropped to the bed behind Kasper. At the mere mention of the name, her demeanor changed remarkably. Mitchell Grossman was a little league coach and volunteer Boy Scout leader. He was accused, on several separate occasions, of being a little too friendly with the kids in his care. But, unfortunately for his victims and their families, 12 jurors of his peers believed otherwise. He was acquitted of all charges and allowed to continue in the same community volunteer capacity as he had been.

Alexa was hired, she reasoned, by one of the victim’s parents. It was a posh little community where everyone knew their neighbors and the respectable, upper crest families despised the idea of a man like that living amongst them. There were suspicions that Nolan had taken part in these crimes, but Alexa proved otherwise. The client paid to have the murder appear accidental, a “Fun Dip” as it was known on the website. She did it. With pleasure. Not for free, of course, but it was money well spent. “Yeah. That too.” 


Alexa glanced at the buzzing phone beside her again and sighed. “What is that? Like the hundredth time he’s called? Don’t you think you should answer it?”

“19th and no. I can’t concentrate on him with Nolan lying in wait somewhere. First thing’s first and that’s getting the ex the hell out of town.”

“Well, I’ve taken the liberty of canceling the credit card he used to get his hotel room; they should be kicking him out pretty soon. And I’ve frozen all of his assets. He won’t be able to stay for very long without cash. Outside of that, I’m pretty much useless. You think perhaps you shouldI don’t know, talk to him? Maybe if he got what he wanted or a firm answer one way or the other he’d leave willingly.”


“Do you really think he went through all the trouble of tracking me down only to hear me tell him to piss off? No. He’s up to something. I can feel it.”

“Well, you have to do something, A. Given the simple fact that he tracked you by that news story means he knows where you work, which also means he can cause all sorts of trouble for you there.”

“Yeah. That’s what I’m afraid of.”


“Hey, it’s Tobias, right?” Nolan asked, casually strolling up to the counselor as he exited the State’s Attorney’s office. “I’m not sure if you remember me…”

“Hannah’s friend.”

“Right. Hannah’s friend.”

“Well, you’ve missed her again, I’m afraid.”

“Actually, I wasn’t looking for her. I was looking for you. It’s about Hannah.”


“I’m listening.”

“I was curious if you could tell me a little more about herlike, what she’s been up to here in St. Claire.”

Thinking it over for a moment, he sighed before nodding his head. “I tell you what,” Tobias grinned, moving a few steps closer toward Nolan. “Buy me a drink and I’ll tell you everything I’ve learned about our mutual friend provided you do the same.”

“Of course. I’m sure we have much to discuss.”

<----Previous -- Continue---->

No comments:

Post a Comment