Monday, December 31, 2018

Chapter 06: Anonymous


“Morning, neighbor,” Alexa sang as she exited her apartment door. “Sleep well?”

“Like a baby,” he answered back, stepping away from his front door and tossing a smile at her. Slowly he strolled over, trying to keep his eyes on hers but failing as he noticed her dress hugged every individual curve of her body. “So don’t forget, you and I have a lunch date today and dinner tomorrow night.”

“Dinner? When did I agree to dinner?”

“Just now, you don’t remember?” he fiddled with the mail in his hands, flipping the largest envelope with his fingers as he waited on her to respond.

“Hmm, refresh my memory.” 


“Ok. I said ‘you look great this morning, there seems to be a radiant glow about you’ and you said ‘thanks I usually roll out of bed like this, teehee’,” his voice took on a higher pitch as he did his best female impersonation and Alexa laughed. “Then I said ‘I believe it, Angels are beautiful’ and you giggled…I think I may have even seen a blush. So, being the charmer that I am, I offered to take you to the most expensive restaurant five dollars could buy and you, being so blinded by my witty humor and dazzling smile, eagerly agreed.”

“Ah ok. Well aside from the ridiculous twittering, I think I am starting to vaguely recall something to that effect.”

“Great! How’s 7:30 sound?”

Alexa laughed at Gavin’s excitement and nodded her head. “7:30 is fine. I’ll be sure to keep myself available,” she replied and brushed her hair from her face. “Do I really sound like that to you?”


“Honestly? I think you have one of the best laughs I’ve ever heard,” he grinned and fixed his eyes on her face a moment. Realizing he was staring when Alexa nervously looked away, Gavin took a step back and cleared his throat. “Uh…by the way, my dad’s having a party tonight. You should totally come.”

“Thanks, but no thank you. I heard about it at the office and it sounds like it’s some sort of fundraising event for some political campaign. It’s not for me. I’d rather get a bit of work done while the office will be mostly closed. Plus, I sorta wasn’t invited.”

“Well think of this as your very personal, very intimate invitation. C’mon! You can keep me company while the bigwigs are all bragging about the new yacht they purchased or how well their stocks are doing,” he tried again, adding one of his charming smiles. But when she didn’t bite, he slowly backed up toward the elevator, trying on his saddest puppy dog eyes instead. “Ok, well. I guess I’ll just go and suffer in my parents’ mansion all by my lonesome.”


“Right! I’m having such horrid visions of how miserable your night will be sipping on $500 a glass champagne, eating your Beluga white caviar and rubbing elbows with political powerhouses, celebrities and the media all while dressed to the nines in the most luxurious silk suit. Woe is you, Gavin Stark.”

“Well, it beats staring at law books all day and all night trying to figure out some scumbag’s motives. Come on! Live a little. Have some fun while you’re young and…smart,” he smirked, catching himself before he inserted his foot.

“I’d like to but, I can’t. Sorry. Thanks anyway, really.”

“Well, can’t say I didn’t try, Hannah. I guess I should let you get going. I hear that boss of yours can be a real stickler for time.” Gavin ripped the envelope open and pulled its contents halfway out of the flap. 


“Ok. I’ll see you at 1:00 for lunch.” Alexa paused as she noticed her neighbor’s attention on the documents in front of him. His eyes had widened in surprise and an audible gasp escaped his lips as he perused the individual items. Alexa’s eyes moved to the package in his hand. Quickly she noticed the manila envelope had his name and address scrawled in black marker across the middle with no return information. She was familiar with mail of that nature. But in her line of work, it was either a ransom demand or blackmail threat; she assumed the latter in this case. “Gavin?”

“Oh um…yeah,” his voice changed from playfully light banter to a low, worrisome tone and he quickly sealed up the envelope before Alexa could get a look at the images in his hand. “Uh, I should get going.”

“Is everything ok?”

“What? Uh, yeah. Just, business. Um, I’ll see you later, Hannah.” Gavin hurriedly rushed down the stairs and out the front door before Alexa could say another word.  


“Mrs. Stewart owns Pacific Asset Management Group on the 63rd floor of the Hartford building.”

“And the only thing Mrs. Stewart’s asset management firm offered her investors were various ways of investing his or her money in the method he or she preferred?”

“Objection! Leading.”

“Withdrawn. To your knowledge, how did Mrs. Stewart’s company operate?”


“The firm offered investors various ways of investing their money in the method they chose.” Alexa rolled her eyes as the witness repeated the defense attorney, Clive Hunter’s, words verbatim and checked her notes against his earlier testimony.

“And was every investor asked to sign one of these?” Clive placed a piece of paper in front of the former employee who confirmed its significance. “And what is this document?”

“It’s an investing agreement, releasing Mrs. Stewart and her partners of all liability resulting in the loss of any investment.”

“So, every investor, prior to allocating their funds into Mrs. Stewart’s company, were made aware of the risks of investing and yet chose to invest anyway?”

“That is correct.”

“Thank you, Mr. O’Neal, no further questions.”


“The prosecution has no questions for this witness at this time but would reserve the right to recall him at a later date.” Judge Hamlyn dismissed the former employee and waited for Alexa to call the next witness to the stand.

“Please state your name for the record.”

“Ryan Frazier.”

“And Mr. Frazier, you worked for the defendant, Mrs. Stewart, at her investment firm?”

“Yes.”

“And Mrs. Stewart has been accused of cheating thousands of investors out of millions of dollars?”

“Yes.”

“Could you please explain how this matter was brought to the attention of the FBI?”


“I came across documentation showing discrepancies in the Federal earnings report, flagged them, and brought them to Mrs. Stewart’s attention. When Mrs. Stewart failed to act on the information, I contacted the IRS and an investigation was started.”

“And how long had you been working for the firm?”

“4 years.”

“And why did you wait until now to report the company for fraud?”

“I was not aware of Mrs. Stewart’s business practices until recently. I’d encouraged my parents to invest their life’s savings with my company, believing we were doing good; you know, helping people. But when they lost everything, I knew something was wrong.”


“Could you explain?” she asked, pacing in front of the jury box. David, the in-house investigator, motioned for Alexa and she started back toward her table as Mr. Frazier testified. David handed her a file folder and took a seat in the gallery.

“Mrs. Stewart and a partner ran a mutual fund which was one of the largest feeders to Bernie Madoff’s Ponzi scheme. She was constantly receiving new business and paying the returns of her older clients from the new capital rather than actual profits earned. I became aware of this when she promoted me to Supervisor of Accounting. No profits were coming in but we were always paying out. It just didn’t add up.”

“And, to your knowledge, this was all Mrs. Stewart’s idea?”

“Yes.” Alexa paused as she sifted through the papers in the folder. A few in particular appeared interesting, but David hadn’t found what Alexa had asked him for.


“Does the prosecution have any more questions for this witness?” Judge Hamlyn asked, watching Alexa read through her notes again. A smile formed on her face as she looked over the investor’s agreement and the copies retrieved from Pacific Asset’s filing cabinets. “Ms. Taylor?” The ink for the timestamp was smudged on the office copy but not the copy the investor’s received. The small, barely noticeable blemish would seem inconsequential to a novice, but to Alexa, it was the smoking gun.


“No further questions, Your Honor,” Alexa quickly stood and thanked Mr. Frazier. “But we would like to call Mr. O’Neal back to the stand.”

It took the jury less than three hours to return with a guilty verdict. Alexa was on a roll and everyone back at the office was feeling it. Another win for her meant she was one step closer to Travis, which was Alexa’s ultimate goal. The news of the conviction reached him quickly and she found herself summoned to his office upon her return.


“Ok, we’ll talk. Ok, alright, goodbye,” Travis quickly hung up his phone and stopped Alexa before she could exit his office. “I know this is sort of last minute and to be honest I’m not sure why I didn’t mention it sooner but, I’m having a party of sorts at my home tonight; well more of a social gathering. I’d like you to be there.”

“Uh…well I kind of already have plans tonight,” Alexa answered, remembering that Gavin had already told her about the party. She’d decided to use his time out of the apartment to snoop around his place for that envelope that seemed to get his attention this morning. He tried to cover it up quickly and Alexa believed it had something to do with her mission.


“Well, is it possibly something that could be postponed? I’d really love to have you there. You can meet the rest of my family.”

Seeing the look on Travis’ face forced Alexa into a corner. She couldn’t refuse the invitation, after all her mission depended on Travis’ cooperation later. But still feeling in flux about the whole thing, she also didn’t want to miss the opportunity to have a look around. Deciding to go with the lesser of two evils, she sighed and threw her arms up in defeat. “Sure, I’ll see what I can do.”

“Terrific! It’s formal so be sure and dress up. Also, try not to feel pressured by some of the attendees. Politicians; they can be a little overbearing.”

Just a little, Alexa smiled to herself and started backing out of his office. 


“I heard about court today, great job! The forged ink find was masterful!”

“Thank you, Travis. It’s just something I saw on an old forensics show once. New ink smudges, old ink does not so the only conclusion was simply that someone at the company tried covering their tracks after the charges were filed.”

“Well, you are proving to be a real find, Hannah. I’ll let you get back to work.”

Travis allowed the office to work the half day. Many of his employees were on the guest list and he needed to get home before everyone arrived. Alexa got to her place and changed. Although her concerns lay more on the information in the envelope Gavin had received, she needed to keep Travis happy. 


K had left a message for her earlier. The client was getting antsy and he was trying to calm the waters. Alexa’s rules only worked if she could protect innocent people from living the life she was forced to; one where everyone she loved was murdered in cold blood and she sought revenge. And this client was not being forthcoming. Something was up. And until she found out what, the mission would remain in limbo.


“Well, well, fancy meeting you here. You clean up nicely, Hannah but I’m curious how you even made it in the front door.”

“I was actually invited, Tobias, twice; unlike the brown-noser you’re proving yourself to be. What did you do? Schmooze your way into Travis’ back pocket until he finally relented?”

“Humph,” Tobias scoffed, quickly scooping a glass of champagne off the tray of a passing server. “I don’t need to brown-nose; I’ve proven myself enough as the top litigator in our office.”

“So that’s why you were given the Overton case, oh wait, that was me.”


“Gee, aren’t you just the bitter prude I thought you were, Hannah. And what brought you here tonight? Or wait, let me guess. You’re trying to get in close to Travis hoping to outshine me and snatch the Deputy SA desk for yourself? “What are you doing? Sleeping with the son? How very scandalous!”

“You have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Oh, I do. I know it all. I know exactly who you are, Hannah Taylor! And I know what you’re doing here.” Tobias smirked and drunkenly fell against the wall. “You’re the same as all those other whores; sleeping her way to the top of the professional ladder.”

“The only one trying to sleep their way around here is you, Tobias.”


“Right. So that’s why you ran to Travis about our late night in the library?”

“I did that for your own good.”

“And what’s that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing. Forget it.”

“Better be careful, Hannah, or I’ll expose you for the manipulative little bitch that you are.”

“You’re drunk, Tobias. Why don’t you go home and sleep it off before you ring a bell that can’t be unrung.” She turned and started away from him as quickly as she could. The gardens were completely overrun with people. From politicians, supporters and even a few journalists, it was a madhouse and navigating through the horde was proving to be more of a chore than Alexa cared for.


“Hannah!” Alexa turned, hearing her name and watched as Gavin cut through the sea of people, hurrying in her direction. “Hey! You made it!”

“Well of course I did. I couldn’t very well turn down an invitation from my Boss my first month on the job. That would look bad.”

“Right,” he smiled that cocky grin of his and Alexa returned the sentiment.

“In speaking of which, you didn’t happen to mention to your dad that I said I wasn’t invited, did you?”

“Of course not. Why would you think that?”


“Because after court today, he called me into his office to ask me to come tonight.”

“Ah. Did you win?”

“Yes.”

“Maybe that’s why. Or maybe he just realized how incredibly dull this party would have been without you,” Gavin smirked and inched closer. “You look gorgeous by the way!”

“Thanks. I was about to say the same thing to you. Who would have thought the tattooed mechanic could clean up so nicely?”

“Well, in all honesty, I have my sister to thank for that.”


“Your sister?”

“Yeah, MelMelissa went shopping for me. I wouldn’t know a Versace from a Men’s Warehouse off the rack!”

“Well in that case, remind me to thank her later!”

Gavin smiled appreciatively at the compliment and if Alexa wasn’t mistaken, she saw a hint of a blush on his cheeks. “Careful now, Hannah Taylor, you keep flirting with me and I might just have to flirt back. Let me get you a drink.”

“Oh no, I don’t…” her sentence was interrupted by Gavin pulling her along behind him toward the refreshments table. “Thank you,” she smiled, retrieving the glass he offered.


“Hannah,” Travis walked up behind them with his youngest two children in tow. “I’d like to introduce you to my wife, Joan, and this is my daughter Melissa and my son Dylan.”

“Hello, it’s nice to finally put a face to the name. Travis has been going on about this incredible new attorney he’s hired; five convictions already your first month here, not bad.”

“Thank you. I’m trying to give Tobias a run for his money,” she smirked in his direction, noticing him eavesdropping on the conversation.

“Well, that’s a good start.”

“I hear you’re a world-class chef! Though, I’m not sure if Gavin was bragging or teasing me. Dinner must have been the best time of day in the Stark household.”


“Well, I’m sure whatever my son has told you was not an exaggeration,” Joan joked. “Perhaps we can have you over for dinner sometime.”

“I would look forward to that, thank you.” Alexa turned to the girl who appeared to be completely bored with everything going on around her. She stood with most of her weight on one leg, rolling her eyes and sighing heavily at much of the conversation. “And Melissa, I hear you’ve got an eye for fashion.”

“Not really. I’m an artist.”

“Ah. I was referring to the suit you picked out for Gavin.” Melissa rolled her eyes again in Alexa’s direction but snuggled under her older brother’s arm when he leaned against her shoulder.



“Mel’s the next da Vinci,” Gavin offered. “She’s amazing with a canvas and brush.”

“Oh really? I’d love to see your work sometime!”

“Whatever,” the teenager huffed. Alexa noticed the slight squeeze Gavin gave her shoulder as if to say “behave” and she looked up at her brother with a half-smile.

“Your shoes are really pretty,” Dylan spoke as he stared down at Alexa’s feet.

“Thank you. I’m sure I have more pairs than one woman needs, but this is actually one of my favorites.”

“Well, Hannah, I won’t keep you any longer,” Travis smiled, shaking her hand firmly. “I really appreciate you coming.”

“And thank you for the invitation. It was really nice meeting all of you.”


Gavin waited for his parents to make their rounds to the next guest before turning to Alexa with a smile. “Well, you survived the meet and greet. What do you think?”

“Um, your sister is…”

“Uh, yeah, sorry about that. She’s kinda short with everyone until she knows them better.”

“Oh good; glad it’s not just me.”

“Mel’s not into all this publicity stuff and unfortunately, Dad’s job requires a bit of media coverage so, she’s grown a bit jaded and sarcastic. But I promise you, she’s really a sweet girl.”

“Good to know.”


“Yeah, well, anyway, I don’t want to talk about my family all night,” Gavin smirked and placed his glass on the bar. He took Alexa’s from her hand and set it beside his before extending his arm for her to take, “May I have this dance?”

“Yes, you may.” He twirled her quickly onto the floor and pulled her tightly against his chest. She giggled as he wiggled his eyebrows, showing off his moves. The melodic rhythm surrounded them as he led her across the floor and Alexa found herself smiling. “Where did you learn to dance?”

“Not sure I want to tell you.”

“What? Why not?”


“Because you might think I’m just one of those snobby trust fund kids using Daddy’s money as my personal bank account.”

“Try me.”

“Ok. After high school, I did that whole backpack through Europe thing…”

“Typical trust fund kid,” she grinned, interrupting his story.

“Ha, very funny.”

“Wait, I thought you went to college?”

“I did; when I got home.”

“Ah.”


“Anyway, while abroad, I met a girl; a dancer. She wasn’t interested in me whatsoever. I tried laying my best game, bought her flowers, even had a singing telegram sent to her home and nothing. But I learned that she was into dance. So, in my mission to impress her, I picked up a few moves.”

“Just enough to get her to fall into bed with you?”

“Something like that,” he smirked and dipped her in his arms.

“Impressive.”


“Well now, look at the two lovebirds, twirling around the dance floor,” Tobias drunkenly slurred as he stumbled toward them.

“Tobias, you really need to go home and sleep it off,” Alexa urged as quietly as possible and sidestepped him, leading Gavin away. Tobias pursued them toward the edge of the dance floor, swinging Alexa around violently by the arm. “Take your hands off me!”

“And you need to stop telling me what to do. Unlike half the men in St. Claire, I haven’t slept with you…yet!”

“Back off,” Gavin growled, shoving Tobias hard in the chest.


“Oh, look who comes to your rescue! Only been here a few months and already have the S.A’s son pussy whipped. My, you must have one impressive technique! I can’t wait until it’s my turn to give it a spin!” he winked and turned his glass to his lips.

Gavin reeled back and unloaded on Tobias, connecting with a dizzying blow to his jaw that sent the high-profile attorney careening into the refreshments table. A large tray of pastries tipped over and came crashing down on his head as he landed brutally on his ass. The crowd all turned to take in the sight and Travis immediately scowled in his son’s direction as he noticed the persons involved. 


“Let’s get out of here.” Closing his hand around Alexa’s, he tugged her behind him toward the exit, taking one last look at the mess he’d made and the annoyed glower on his father’s face.

<----Previous -- Continue---->

6 comments:

  1. Awesome chapter! And this was my most favorite and hilarious moment of it all!
    "Gavin reeled back and unloaded on Tobias, connecting with a dizzying blow to his jaw that sent the high profile attorney careening into the refreshments table. A large tray of pastries tipped over and came crashing down on his head as he landed brutally on his ass."
    I just discovered your story and can't put it down! You're a fantastic writer and pose your Sims brilliantly! I'd love to know where you find all your CC. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome!

      Tobias went down hard! He had that coming though. *blush* Thank you for the compliment, I really appreciate that!

      I've posted quite a few links in my "credits" section as to where I get my CC. Sadly, MySims3Blog (where a TON came from) stopped being updated with the release of Sims 4. Now I mostly just prowl Tumblr for new stuff.

      Thank you for reading :D

      Delete
    2. You're welcome. :) It's truly an enjoyable read. And thanks!

      Delete
    3. I appreciate that. It took so long to complete but I'm notorious for having long hiatuses I thought it would be worth it to finish everything for this story before ever releasing the first chapter and so far it's been great.

      Now if I can just remember to post them every Monday ><

      Delete
  2. That last moment was epic and hilarious! I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tobias was asking for it all night. Gavin was just happy to oblige.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete