Monday, November 11, 2019

Epilogue Pt. 2 – Brave New World


—St. Claire  – One Month Later—   

“Did we get the parts for the Shelby?” Gavin asked, going over the list of inventory as Ray locked the garage doors and pulled them shut.

“Not yet. I spoke with our distributor. He said he’ll have a shipment by Friday so we should get ours this Monday.”

“Sounds good.”

“Hey, Gav, you got a phone call.”

“Take a message!”

“I tried. The chick says it’s urgent.”


Gavin sighed as he started towards his office. Dropping the clipboard on the desk, he snatched the phone from the base and pushed the blinking red button. “Gavin speaking,” he answered and waited for the voice on the other end. “Hello? Is anyone there? Hello?” Annoyed, he slammed the receiver back in place and stormed from the office. “Hey, Johnny, did the woman say what she wanted?”

“Just that she needed to speak with the man in charge.”

“Yeah well I guess she didn’t have much to say.”

“I wouldn’t worry about it. If it’s that important she’ll call back.” 


Gavin shrugged, hung the clipboard back against the wall and stepped out into his garage. “Alright, guys, it’s almost two and I don’t know about you but I’ve planned a full night of drunken debauchery sitting in front of my tube watching the Vikings’ game. If you want to stay, and honestly I can’t see why any of you would, feel free but, I’m not paying overtime.”

His announcement was met with a round of cheers as he started back to his office to close up. He had promised his Mom he would stop by to pick up his mail but, he suspected it was more about her wanting to see him. Since buying his new home, he’d moved much farther away and their visits became fewer and far between. Truth be told, he was mostly hoping to avoid his dad as much as possible. After everything, the two had a strained relationship these days but, he preferred it that way.


Afterwards, he headed to the market and loaded up on beer and snacks. Tommy, Jeff, Kirk and Rob had made plans to meet him later and he wanted to make sure he had enough booze to keep them sufficiently drunk. Finally, he pulled up his driveway, shocked to find someone had beaten him home. The car sitting in front of his house looked familiar but none of his friends owned a classic Dodge.

Gavin smiled and slid his fingers across the hood of the car. He hadn’t seen one like this since…“Hannah,” he whispered as he quickly circled around the front. The license plate indicated the owner was from South Carolina and Gavin’s eyes darted between the car and his front door.


Moving as fast as he could, he rushed up the steps and through the door. “Hannah?” he shouted, starting into his living room. “Hello? Hannah?” When he didn’t get a reply, he dropped his keys to the sideboard and started back outside to retrieve his groceries.

“Hi, Gavin,” Alexa replied behind him. Slowly he turned towards her and she smiled tensely. Guardedly he inched closer, leaning against the wall as she nervously fidgeted with her hands. Her hair was black and her eyes were a dark shade of green. Gavin’s eyes narrowed as he made out her features but he never spoke a word. “I owe you an explanation.”

“You think? You dropped into my life, made me fall in love with you and this whole time you were just some lowlife con artist.”

“No, Gav…” 


“What are you doing here?”

“I needed to talk to you. I went by your old apartment but you’d moved.”

“I couldn’t stay there. Coming out into that hallway and not seeing…” he paused and exhaled loudly. “What do you want, Hannah? What could you possibly have to say to me now after five months of silence?” he nearly shouted. His anger was evident as he clenched and unclenched his fists and it made Alexa hesitant. “Go on, I’m listening!”

“This was stupid. I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have come back here,” she sighed heavily, near tears. Throwing her hands up in frustration she started for the door. Gavin caught her by the arm, pulling her back towards him. His face was dangerously close to hers and Alexa shut her eyes, trying to keep herself composed. It had been a while but, the very scent of the man made her weak in the knees. It took everything in her not to slam him against the wall and have her way with him.


“Look at me,” he commanded in a deep, husky tone. She took two calming breaths before her eyelids peeled slowly and she found herself trapped in those damn intensely electric pools of blue. Alexa’s misty eyes glistened with unshed tears and she’d never looked more afraid, more delicate or more beautiful; it made his stomach ache and he swallowed hard. “Hannah…”

“My…my name’s not Hannah,” she replied, barely above a whisper.

“Of course it’s not,” he scoffed, tightening his grip on her arm.

“It’s Lyric, Lyric Alexa Hughes, but I’ve mostly gone by Alexa.”


“Alexa.” Gavin repeated the name like it left a bad taste in his mouth and continued to hold her gaze. “I don’t even know who you are!” He released his grasp on her arm and she backed away.

“Ask me anything,” she dared with a boldly convincing look on her face. “I have nothing to hide; not anymore.” Her mouth was incredibly dry as she stood in front of the man she’d hurt the most. Unsure if she could speak when questioned she cleared her throat, waiting on Gavin to respond.

“Like what?” he challenged. “I already know about your family.” 

“My fam…?”

“How you lied about that too. I know you were raised in an orphanage,” he said, turning his back as he moved towards the table in the entryway. Retrieving the photograph he’d taken from her file at the convent, he callously tossed it at her and watched it hit the ground.


Alexa collected the picture and held it against her chest before slipping it into her pocket. She had none of her own and it had been ages since she’d seen their faces. It was getting harder to remember what they looked like. “How did you…?”

“Detective Monroe came from Brooklyn Heights,” he answered her interrupted question. “I had been trying to figure out what was going on, where you’d disappeared to and he led me there unintentionally, I’m sure. When he came to have me identify your body, fun times by the way, I followed him back and found myself at St. Peter’s. Mother Mary showed me a picture of a little girl named Lyric; described her personality that matched yours to a tee.”

“Y-you looked for me?”

“Of course I did! You were my fiancée after all. I needed to know where you were; if you were ok. But, after hitting wall after wall and the reality of facing possible jail time I asked myself ‘Why am I doing this?’ If you’d cared, if you’d wanted me, you would have stayed or called or reached out in ANY number of ways.”

“Gavin, I can explain.”


“Explain? Explain what exactly? How you toyed with me for nearly a year? How you used me and manipulated me into believing this entire persona you’d invented just so that you could what? What were you after exactly, huh? And I knew, I knew you weren’t dead,” he stated calmly, his gaze remaining so damnably resolute.

“After everything I’d seen you do…I assumed you’d faked your death because of your ex or the Marshalls moved you into Witness Protection when Detective Monroe confronted me. However, I’ve come to the conclusion none of that was true either. And everything I knew about you, everything you’d told me was a lie. And here I was still searching for my fiancée; searching for Hannah Taylor. A woman who never even existed. I mean, just how many names have you had?”

“Too many to count,” she sobbed, touching a hand to her heart. “But, not everything I’ve told you was a lie.”

“Name one thing!”


“The stuff about my childhood,” she replied, letting the stubborn tears fall. “And the way I feel about you, Gavin. That was real too.”

“Real?” he repeated with a watery laugh. “Please! It was NEVER real.”

“NO!” she yelled and sucked her bottom lip into her mouth. “I never meant…yes, it began as something else but, it’s not like you think.” Alexa looked up into Gavin’s eyes and kicked herself for all of the lies she’d told. She didn’t know how he would ever forgive her and the only thing her body wanted to do right now was be close to his. “I was hired to kill your father.”

“Oh. Yeah. Because that’s SO much better than anything I thought,” Gavin spat sarcastically. “HannahAlexa, whatever your name is, why are you so determined to destroy my life?”

“I’m not.”

“What is it that you want from me?”


“Gavin, I did everything I could to protect you. I was hired to kill Travis but, I didn’t, I couldn’t and I wouldn’t after learning the reason behind the hit. I live by a set of rules. I only harm those who have harmed others. I never would have killed him and I never meant to hurt you. I just wanted to come back and tell you that and how sorry I am things went the way they did. I just—I wanted you to know.” She started for the door but Gavin stepped in front of her, blocking her exit.

“So that’s it then? You’re leaving again? You’ve said your piece and now you’re just gonna disappear?”

“I don’t want to. The apology wasn’t all I came back for. But, I can see how much pain I’ve caused you and I’m…”


“Chickening out. You don’t want to even see where this could go? Because, Alexa, in spite of everythingI still love you,” he whispered gently, holding her hand against his chest. Alexa looked up and caught the sorrowful smile on his face before it disappeared. “And I can’t watch you walk out of my life again. I lost you once, I won’t do it again.”

“Gavin, I thought—you’d moved on.”

“Moved on?” Gavin asked in confusion.

“There was a woman…another blonde,” she shrugged. “That’s your type.”

Gavin sighed as he finally realized who she’d meant. Alexa must have been watching him even after her disappearance. “That was Lara Waldroup. She’s a private investigator. Detective Monroe threatened me with jail time if I didn’t stop investigating. But I couldn’t give up; I wouldn’t stop until I knew you were safe. I hired her to find you.” He put his hands on her cheeks and tilted her face up so he could see her eyes. His breath drifted over her as he wiped the tears off her cheeks with his thumbs. “You really think I could ever get over you?”


His body leaned towards her, his hands still on her face, the look in his blue eyes scorching. She could smell the musk and rosewood of his cologne and her whole body ached to close the inches between them and kiss him, to wrap her arms around his neck and anchor herself to him. She shook her head at the absurdity of her desire but then, he was kissing her, leaning against her, surrounding her and pressing her into the wall.

For a few minutes she didn’t think about anything except the feeling of having him here, his body against her, his lips on hers, his tongue diving into her mouth to taste her. At this moment she would take him any way she could get him. She threw her arms around him possessively, pulling him closer and kissing him back with all the pent up frustration and desire inside her.


Gavin groaned in response and grabbed her ass, lifting her and resting her against his hips. She wrapped her legs around his waist and held tight as he pressed his erection against her. “You drive me crazy,” he mumbled against her lips. “You’re all I could think about. These last fucking months; every single day. I’ve been trying to get you out of my head and I can’t.”

Alexa felt a buzz of excitement shoot through her at his words. She reached down between them to unzip his jeans and slide her hand inside but, he grabbed her wrists and pulled them away, pinning them against the wall above her head. He held her in place with his body and she could feel every inch of his hard form molding her soft curves into place. Holding her wrists with one hand he ran the other down her side, brushing over her nipple with a quick flick of his thumb before continuing downward. 


He was kissing her again and she could feel his fingers pushing her panties to the side before sliding inside her to tease her wet folds. He groaned into her mouth and then his fingers were gone, replaced by the blunt end of his dick. “God, you’re so wet. Tell me you want me. Tell me you want this,” he said, pressing against her just enough to slip a fraction of an inch inside.

“Yes,” Alexa gasped, wiggling her hips to try to get more of him inside her. “I want you, Gavin, please. I need you.”

Their harmonized sighs echoed throughout the room as he plunged deep inside her. Alexa’s eyes rolled back in ecstasy at the sensation of him once again filling her so completely; his powerful thrusts drawing unconscious moans of pleasure as he moved against her. 


Alexa had no control over the pace or intensity of his movements in this position; pinned against the wall with him between her legs and she was amazed how quickly he could bring her to the brink with so little effort. “Mmm, oh, yes,” she gasped as the sensations overcame her. Her hands clenched into fists as he thrust harder, pushing her higher as an explosive orgasm washed over her.

“Gavin!” she cried as her spine tingled with her release. Just as she started to come down, he shifted his legs and tilted her hips, drilling even deeper than before. She pressed her mouth against his and he opened to her, kissing her hard, both of them pouring all their unspoken words into the physical expression of need and desire. Alexa’s entire body shuddered with the impact of his onslaught.

Gavin let go of her wrists and wrapped his hand around the back of her head, cushioning it from the wall as he slammed into her, grunting and gritting his teeth with the effort of holding back his own climax. He didn’t have long to wait, Alexa soon succumbed to the pleasure again, arching her back off the wall as her powerful muscles gripped him, pulling him along with her over the edge. “Alexa.” Her name fell from his lips with one last, powerful grunt of satisfaction.


He rested his forehead against her as he caught his breath. “I missed you so much,” she whispered. Gavin peered up into Alexa’s eyes and shoved himself back inside his jeans.

He said nothing, just tightened his arms around her and buried his face in her neck, breathing deep. “You tore me up, Alexa.”

“I know. I’m sorry.” Her throat constricted and she fought back tears at his words, suddenly struck with the realization that as much as she was hoping this was a sign of forgiveness, it could very well have been a goodbye. After a few more minutes he finally backed away, lowering her to the floor as he lifted his head and looked down into her eyes. “I’m not a good person, Gavin, and I know I’m not deserving of your love. I understand if you want me to leave.” 


“I never said that.”

“You didn’t have to. You have no idea who I am; the things I’ve done. I don’t think you would like the real me,” she closed her eyes as warm tears trickled down her cheeks and Gavin moved closer.

“Don’t you think you can at least give me the chance to find that out for myself? You at least owe me that.”

“Gavin…” Their distance melted swiftly as he lunged forward, pulling her into his arms again. Gavin squeezed her tightly against his chest. He breathed in her scent and reveled in the warmth of her skin before quickly pressing his lips on hers with a passionate, all-consuming kiss. Letting his hands slide down to her curvy ass, he pushed his tongue deeper into her mouth moaning when her fingers raked across his scalp. With his hands full, he squeezed playfully as he withdrew his tongue and kissed his way down her cheek towards her neck. 


“I’ve missed you too,” he mumbled against her throat before burying his face into her cleavage. He wanted to touch and kiss every part of her, give her a warm welcome home. A host of giggles escaped her lips as he nuzzled her throat, and an audible gasp followed when he slipped his right hand down her belly towards the hem of her dress. “What’s that?” he asked, backing away in shock.

“It’s…the other reason I’m here,” she replied, removing her heavy coat so he could get a clearer view of her body. “I’m pregnant.”

Gavin’s mouth remained agape as he stared at her swollen belly. “Fuck. I’m so sorry, Alexa, the sex…”

“What?”


“I can’t believe I just did that to you.”

“No! Gavin, it’s okay. You didn’t hurt me,” she stepped closer to him and put one hand on his arm to try to convince him.

He looked into her eyes, searching for the truth there. “You’re sure?” he asked quietly, touching a hand to her stomach.

“I’m positive,” she said, smiling up at him. 

The idea that he was the father suddenly struck him and he looked up into her eyes with uncertainty. “A-am I…?”

“Yes, Gavin. It’s yours.”

“How far along are you?”

“21 weeks, that’s roughly 5 months.” 


“So you’ve known for 5 months you were having my baby and are just now getting around to telling me?”

“No, I’ve only known for 2 and I was taking care of things so that I could come back here to tell you.”

“Things? What kinds of things? What’s more important than telling someone they’re going to be a father?”

“Well for one, destroying the organization that wanted the father of my baby dead. Gavin, we couldn’t do this with that target on your back, or mine. And if there was even the slightest chance that you’d forgive me, I had to make sure it was safe for you, for your family…for us. Gavin…I never meant for things to turn out like this. I only wanted…”


“To murder my Dad and ride off into the sunset, yeah I got that. Guess you never expected me to knock you up along the way.”

“No. The pregnancy was unintentional just like falling in love with you. But, I have, Gavin. You have no idea how hard it was lying to you for all those months when all I wanted to do was come clean; to tell you everything and just hope for the best. I tried to tell you. The night of the attack. I was so close!”

“BUT YOU DIDN’T! You NEVER did, Alexa! Ten months! For TEN fucking months you never said a word! How little you must have thought of me to not trust that I could handle it; that I couldn’t believe in the woman that I’d fallen in love with!” he shouted, taking a huge step away from her as she reached out for him. “Thinking back over all those intimate moments we had where I was sharing so many private details about myself with you I’d like to think you were doing the same but, that’s just not true. You know things about me that not even my closest friend, hell that my own family doesn’t know but, what do I really know about you?”


“You’re right,” Alexa sighed, throwing her hands up in defeat. “I’m a shitty person who has only managed to fuck up the only relationship where I honestly felt…” she swiped at the volley of tears cascading down her face and took a deep breath. “I’m sorry, Gavin. I’m so sorry for everything. What I’ve done to you is unforgivable. It was all just a terrible mistake that I can just add it to my enormous list of bad choices,” she said. “I’m sorry.”

“Han…Alexa, wait,” Gavin said, pinning her beneath him against the wall. “Fuck! I may be crazy for saying this, knowing everything I’ve learned about you but, I can’t fight off this urge, this desire to be with you. I love you. I’ve told you that, many times. And yes, I am hurt. What you did…you broke my trust, you…lied to me, you lied to my family, and you left me here to think you were dead and…” he paused as he thought over what he was trying to say. “It’s not something easily forgivable, we both know that but, I am willing to try.”

“What are you saying, Gavin?”


“I’m saying,” he sighed and leaned back so he could better peer into her eyes. “You’re back. You’re here now and you’re pregnant with my child. If this threat of my impending death is gone and you and I have no reason to look over our shoulders anymore, there’s no reason why we can’t—start over. Give this thing a try. That is if you still want to be with me?” Gavin exhaled deeply, glancing at her belly as she looked up into his eyes.

“Yes, Gavin, very much. Family is the only thing I’ve wanted for so long,” she sniffled, wiping at her cheeks and took a step back as renewed tears filled the bottoms of her eyes.

Gavin’s eyes narrowed at the insinuation and he took a breath as his mind flashed back to the police report from St. Peter’s. “That stuff about your hippy parents, was that true?” She nodded and he continued. “They’re dead, aren’t they?”


“Yes,” she replied silently, “Both of my brothers too. They were murdered by mafia when I was 9,” she sobbed louder as she relived the gory details for him and the way she got started as an assassin. “I was placed in Witness Protection and left with only faded memories of them. And it’s why I did what I did.” For a moment there was silence. Nothing but the gentle beating of her heart. A shiver rolled over her and she wanted to look away from him but she couldn’t.

Gavin’s eyes were intense; their depths sparkling, like liquid sapphires and the look in his eyes made her stomach churn. “Are you all right?” he asked abruptly. His voice made her shiver and he received a hasty “I’m fine” in return.


Her anxiety was apparent and for a moment she didn’t know whether to leave or stay. Something unraveled inside Alexa. Something she’d long kept hidden. It surged through her like a thunderstorm, filling her up until there was nothing to do but let it out. Alexa fell to the floor, finally releasing the torrent of pain she’d kept bottled up for decades. Gavin was the first person she’d ever come clean to and the feeling was cathartic. He quickly moved towards her, pulling her into his arms as she wept, doing his best to help ease her sorrow. “It’s ok,” he soothed, smoothing her hair down as he cooed. She trembled in his arms and he felt her tears trickle down his neck.


Gavin sat silently, patiently allowing her to get it all out. For a long time, he was angry. Angry at her for what she’d done; crimes he’d believed she committed. Angry at the fact that she so callously played him and his family. Angry she just up and left without so much as a goodbye. But now that she had returned, he realized he no longer felt anger. Instead he was filled with relief and happiness; relieved that she was alive and well, happy at the idea of starting a family with her but, just happy to have her back again. He realized she was all he’d longed for and all he needed.


It took a bit of effort to finally calm her and when he did, she composed herself, picked herself up off the floor and smiled timidly at him. “I should go,” she replied, brushing herself off. “It looks like you’re preparing for company and I don’t want to cause any more trouble for you.” Her eyes were red and puffy and she didn’t look in any condition for driving. Silently, she thanked him before starting for the door.

“Alexa?” She turned to face him. Leaning against the wall, she waited for him to speak as he slowly walked towards her. Gavin took a step forward and Alexa swallowed hard. He reached out, gently pulling her into his arms and she released the breath she’d been holding. “I already told you I wasn’t letting you leave me again. I’ll tie your ass to the bed if I have to,” he said with a smile. 


“Why are you being so nice to me? I’ve lied to you about so much and you’re just…I don’t deserve your forgiveness.”

“Alexa, despite the shit that’s happened between us I can’t shake the feeling that when we were together, you were being real; at least with me. I know you; more than you think I do. And I can forgive you because it’s what you do when you’re in love,” he smiled. “But, I need to know, are you gonna take me up on my offer to start over? A new beginning.”

“I’d love that. More than anything.”

“Well, in that case,” he said, extending his hand, “Hello. My name is Gavin Thomas Stark. I am the eldest son of the governor, a small business owner, a major car enthusiast and one helluva guitar player.”

“Alexa,” she said with a smile, shaking his hand. “Lyric Alexa Hughes and it’s a pleasure to meet you, Gavin.”


“Lyric? That’s a very unusual name.”

“My parents were hippies in every sense of the word,” she laughed. “Their names were Wolf and Olive, my brothers were Blaze and Echo. As a child, I wanted to be a veterinarian but, life didn’t quite turn out that way. I’m a retired assassin with enough money to last a dozen generations who’d like nothing more than to kick her feet up on a beach somewhere.” She said, thinking about the billions Kasper had scammed from WET that was just sitting in an offshore account. “Oh, and I also have a love of cars.”

He smiled and kept her tiny hand clutched within his. “Alexa, can I ask you something?”

“Anything.”


Gavin sighed as he gently rubbed his thumb across her knuckles. He realized Alexa was wearing the ring he’d given her and glanced down at the large jewel on her finger with a grin. “Do you still want to marry me?”

“Yes.”

“Good, that’s very good to know because I really liked coming home and seeing you here,” he beamed. Alexa stood up on her tiptoes and plunged her hands into the soft strands of his hair. Gavin’s spicy, masculine scent filled her nostrils and it was the sexiest thing ever. She leaned into him, her eyes never leaving his, up until their lips met. Alexa pressed herself deeper against his chest and he gave her ass another firm squeeze. “Do you love me, Alexa?”

“I do, Gavin. Now and forever.” 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**Author’s note: It took 5 years to get this story completed but, I finally made it. A completed/non-interrupted story (really takes it out of ya). Thank you for tuning in and reading my story. I really hope you enjoyed it. Be sure and check out The Chameleon: Regenerated. A continuation of Alexa and Gavin’s life coming soon.**

<----Previous

4 comments:

  1. Thank God for Regenerated. I saw 'Epilogue' and I went.....well, shit!
    Nice conclusion. And you're not fooling anyone with that big coat. LOL. You even managed to sneak in a little 'sex-craze anonymous' in there. Also GAVIN!!!!! <3
    Can't wait for Regenerate!!!

    It was nice reading a full story again. For a while there it looked like we all just stopped writing simultaneously. No updates for ongoing stories, no new ones. Just dead... I still haven't revived all that well, slowly getting back into it... but I looked forward to this one every Monday. Thanks DJ <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It'll be more like a story per season but I had to give Alexa and Gavin their happily ever after (ish). Haha she was finally starting to show (of course I did slow her pregnancy so I could continue taking shots) but she was ready to go! LOL. But of course! I mean, what's a reunion without a union? :P

      Thanks for following along, Jem! I really appreciate it. And yes! You're right. Everyone just kinda disappeared. I have a lot "in planning" phases but nothing solid other than this so it was nice to get it done. I'm glad to hear you're getting back into it. It'll be great. Also, I'm waiting for Lady of the House! (Get 'er done!)

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  2. YAY! Oh my gosh I am so stinking happy!!! :D I KNEW she was pregnant and she and Gavin were meant to be together! Woo!
    Beautiful ending! <3 Just perfect! I was sad to see it end too, but super happy that you are continuing their story!
    Congrats on completing this. It was fan-freaking-tastic! I enjoyed every minute of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes! You had them pegged from the start. She and Gavin are total soulmates and he was not ever about to give up on her. She really did a number on him and vice versa as Alexa was always looking for a way to return to him like he'd asked.

      Oh yeah! For some reason, I had to see where they would go from here. My mind wouldn't stop until I did so...yeah :P

      Thank you! I'm so happy to hear that! I really appreciate you sticking with me for the ride!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete