Monday, August 5, 2019

Chapter 07: Hitting the Fan


Hands raised and a throbbing ache between her ears from the blow her captor delivered, Alexa stood on the verge of passing out as the door to the exit stairwell opened.

“Bravo.” Frank Delacroix said, slowly clapping his hands as he circled around the gunman nearest the door. “You really planned this out but, tell me, you didn’t honestly expect me to walk into a trap, did you? Although, it appears, that’s exactly what you’ve done.” Frank smirked, tugging at the cuff of his shirt as he stepped away from the edge. “After I heard what happened at Richard’s place, I took a few…precautions. I hope I didn’t disappoint.” 


—12 hours earlier—    

“So I figured out…whoa, sorry, I didn’t mean…”

“No, it’s fine,” Alexa said, reaching for her towel to cover herself. “What’s up?”

“Are you ok?” Kasper asked, stepping closer to where she stood.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Alexa smiled but Kasper wasn’t buying it.

“Why were you squeezing your breasts?”

“It was nothing, Kasper, just a monthly self-test to make sure there were no unusual lumps.”

“And were there?” he asked, plowing through the walls she was trying to build. “You said ‘ow,’ Alexa. Please. Talk to me. Are you sore? Is something going on that I should know about?”


“No, K, like I said, I’m fine.”

“You’re not fine…” he caught himself as he was about to yell and closed his eyes as he slowly exhaled. “You know what? I’m making you a doctor’s appointment. Since you won’t talk to me, maybe they’ll get something out of you.”

“I don’t need…”

“Save it,” he said as his fingers worked through the tablet in his hands. By the time he was done, he’d arranged for Amanda Price to see Dr. Margaret Webb, Gynecologist at the Sacred Heart Medical Center on Monday.

“Happy now?” she asked, folding her arms into her chest.


“Loads,” he said, catching the end of her eyeroll as he glanced up.

“So what did you want to talk to me about?”

“I figured out a way to get WET to come to us.”

“Oh yeah? How’s that?”

“We take away the one thing they really care about.”

“K, what did you do?

“Promise me you won’t freak out?” Kasper asked, taking a giant step into the room, hoping his proximity would keep her composed.


“Um…ok. What’s up? Oh my god,” she gasped, throwing on a robe. “Did you kill someone?”

“What? No, of course not. Give me credit here, A. I’m a little more sophisticated than that.”

“K?”

“Alright, I may have broken the encryption to WET’s banking system. Let’s just say they might not want to use their company credit cards for a while.”

“What does that mean?”

“I moved about $7.5 billion dollars from the company’s deposit accounts into undisclosed offshore locations.” 


“K!”

“What? You said you wanted me to think outside the box.”

“Yes! But I didn’t mean for you to form them into coffins and stick us inside! KASPER! If you thought WET was pissed we stumbled onto a few emails, how do you think they’ll feel about being completely ripped off?” Alexa exploded, throwing her hands up for emphasis.

“You said you weren’t going to freak out!”

“That was before you threw us head first off the side of a building! Kas! We have been struggling to keep our heads above water as it is. You’ve just tied an anchor to our legs!”

“I’m—I’m sorry. I—I didn’t think…”

“EXACTLY! This will have so many unforeseen consequences I don’t even know where to begin.” 


“Not for us, A,” Kasper said with an exasperated sigh.

“What?”

“What I was trying to say before you went kamikaze on me is: I didn’t think you’d have a problem setting up that asshole in the bathtub,” he replied.

“Wait, are you saying you made it look like Richard Demery made off with the money?”

“Yes. And in another hour I’ll have made it appear as though he has been leaving a trail, moderately easy to follow but, not enough to make it an obvious trap.”

“Oh my, Kasper, how impressive.”


“Thank you,” he said with a grin as he took a bow.

“And where do these electronic bread crumbs end?”

“The place it started. WET’s headquarters in Danbridge. I’ve also taken the liberty of packing a few of your favorite accoutrements,” he said, motioning towards the living room.

Alexa moved around him towards the duffel bag sitting atop the ottoman. Inside was a small arsenal of handguns, ammunition, throwing knives but, most importantly, C4 explosives. “Now this looks like a great time.”

“Those assholes won’t know what hit them.”

“Good. I can’t wait for the fireworks. Let’s grab our little friend and kick this thing in gear.”


Large beads of rain pounded against the windshield as they made their way back to WET’s headquarters. Alexa sighed, staring at the water streak down the glass before bumping into another to form a larger droplet and disappear from view. “Nice day for explosives.”

Kasper smiled but didn’t respond. Instead, he remained focused on the road ahead. They had work to do and only a few hours remained for them to execute their plan without a hitch. A light buzzing sound vibrated against the plastic console between them. Alexa glanced down at the lit screen of her disposable phone to see a number she didn’t recognize.

With added curiosity, she pressed the speaker button and was greeted by Mother Mary’s panic-stricken voice. “Hello?”


Hello, this is Mother Mary Francis from St. Peter’s Catholic Church in Brooklyn Heights. I was told to call this number and…” Mary screamed and Alexa heard a shuffling noise against the speaker as if the phone had been dropped. Quickly, she snatched the phone from its cradle and placed it against her ear.

“Hello? Hello are you there?” Alexa could now hear the sounds of a struggle and an anguished moan before another voice spoke. “Who is this?”

I’m sure I don’t have to tell you what will happen to this sweet little nun if you don’t do EXACTLY what I tell you next.” Alexa felt sick to her stomach. They had Mary.


“A?” Kasper said, seeing the distressed look on her face. She listened intently to the voice on the other end, ignoring Kasper’s urging calls. When she was done, she stared at the phone as if it were a snake ready to strike. “Alexa? Talk to me. You okay?” Kasper reached across the seat and touched Alexa’s shoulder, but she didn’t acknowledge him.

She felt paralyzed. She kept her gaze directed out the window, on the side of the mountain and the bits of shale littering the edge of the road. “They have her.”

“What?”

“That was Mother Mary,” Alexa paused as the phone fell from her hands. “Apparently WET’s figured out my connection with her. If we don’t turn ourselves over to them now, they’re gonna kill her.”


“Jesus, A, ok, what’s the plan?” Kasper asked, trying to keep his eyes on the road and take care of his partner at the same time.

“There is no plan, not this time. I can’t risk Mary’s life for mine. I’m giving them what they want.”

“No, A, what? That’s crazy. We didn’t come all this way to just throw in the towel now.”

“And what would you have me do?!” she shouted, finally looking in his direction. “Mary didn’t sign up for this. I never should have gone there with this target on my back. It was stupid. I wasn’t thinking. And now the woman that cared for me…that raised me is in danger!” she said, nearly in a whisper. Her chest tightened. “How did they know about her?”


Kasper reached across the seat and squeezed her hand. “We’re going to get her back. It’s going to be alright. Mary will be ok.”

Alexa could hear him talking but, the sense of dread that had enveloped her continued growing and the longer they drove, the tighter her seat belt and the smaller the size of the car became more constricting. “Stop the car.”

“What?”

“Pull over!” she almost shouted. Kasper came out of the tunnel and took the closest exit, pulling to a stop just near the off ramp of the 76. 


Alexa opened her door and stepped down onto the shoulder. The afternoon’s temperature had continued to rise. The asphalt was already starting to dry, erasing the lingering signs of the earlier heavy rain. “I need you to go ahead to the drop site. I’ll meet up with you when I can.”

“And what are you going to do?”

“What do you think I’m going to do? I’m going to steal a car or hitch a ride to Brooklyn Heights.”

“Alexa, wait. We can figure this out. We’ll come up with a way to fix this…to save her and keep us safe…A, please?”

“What do you suggest?”


“Demery. We use him, like we planned. We get to Delacroix and we make him bring her back, safely.”

“And if that doesn’t work?”

“I don’t know but it’s worth a shot. At least this way, we have a fighting chance, rather than the more than certain possibility of sending us all to an early grave.” Kasper inhaled deeply as she stared at him with cold, unflinching eyes. Insects danced and buzzed about her head as she approached the trunk. Weak and lightheaded, she stumbled. Kasper steadied her. The emotion that welled inside Alexa surprised her. It wasn’t bitterness or guilt. It wasn’t even sorrow. It was anger, and it coursed through her like venom. 


The trunk popped open and Alexa snatched the debilitated man out, dropping him heavily to the curb. Brutally yanking the tape from his face, she didn’t give him a moment to complain before shoving her gun down his throat. “Listen to me you little shit and listen good. You and your repulsive friends have something of mine and I swear to you, if one hair is harmed on her head so help me god…” she stopped and took a breath. “You’re going to tell me every entrance to that building and you’re going to do it now. If I think you’re lying, I will end your miserable existence right here and leave you face down in a pile of dog shit. You understand? Nod if you understand.”


Richard nodded and Alexa removed her gun to allow him to speak. “I told you Frank was not to be messed with. Your friend will be lucky to receive a swift death.” His comment earned him a vicious smack to the jaw from Alexa’s gun.

“Say another word about her and you’ll be lucky I don’t torture you for a month.” Richard caved, giving Alexa what she’d asked for. The information allowed her and Kasper to come up with a new plan, one that would hopefully see the both of them successful.

Once Richard was back in the trunk, Alexa continued on to Danbridge as planned. She only hoped it wouldn’t prove fatal for Mary.


Alexa stopped in front of WET’s headquarters. There was no need to park around back after all, they were expecting her. With her weapon tucked into her back holster, she started inside. With any luck, she could bullshit them long enough to hear from Kasper. Otherwise, he was right, and she was about to get them all killed.


Kasper made record time reaching Brooklyn Heights. Parking his sedan on the corner near the convenience store, he silently snuck around the back of the church in search of where Mary was being held. There was one man standing at the back entrance. He carried a large shotgun but, even without it, Kasper questioned his chance of survival.

He was a large built man, muscular and tall. If it came down to hand-to-hand, he was toast. Taking a deep breath, he waited until the man started back inside before skirting across the lawn. Light beamed from the window in back, the only source in the building. Poking his head above the sill, he saw Mary tied to a chair behind a desk.

A survey of the room revealed the man was alone, significantly increasing his chance of survival. Kasper ducked down and quickly placed a call. Steeling his nerves, he prepared himself for what he had to do. Popping up once more to check the man’s location, he caught Mary’s eye and visibly saw her breath hitch. He placed a finger to his lips, signaling for Mary not to alert the man to his presence.


Mary nodded. Methodically, she began rocking her chair, drawing the man’s attention. “Stop that,” he barked, standing erect as he stared down the nun but, Mary continued rocking. “Are you deaf?” he growled, growing more agitated as he swiftly approached her. “I said…”

Kasper took the opportunity to charge in. Slamming his body into the man at full force, he knocked his weapon free. It landed beside Mary’s chair with a thump. The gunman quickly recovered, pounding a heavy fist into Kasper’s side. He groaned and reached for the 13-million volt stun gun he stowed in his jacket. 


With the setting turned as high as it could go, he plunged the head onto the exposed flesh of the man’s throat and watched him seize as the weapon delivered a powerful electrical current through his body. Milky white foam seeped from the corners of his mouth as his eyes rolled back into his head but Kasper didn’t let up until the arc broke.


Placing the weapon at his feet, he turned to undo Mary’s binds. “Thank you, thank you.”

“Are you hurt?”

“No, I’m—I’m fine.”

“Good. Just head out the back, lock yourself in with the kids. The police were called and they should be here soon.”

“What about…?”


“She’s fine. I’m meeting up with her in a little bit. I just want to make sure you’re safe.” Kasper watched as Mary disappeared into the back room. Turning to leave, he came face-to-face with another large brute. And before he could utter a word, the man charged for him, sending his head bouncing off the wall. Kasper fell into darkness.


—Present—

Alexa stood in front of the three armed men, dressed similarly in dark suits. Her firearm lay on the ground between them and they blocked her direct path to the man she’d come for. Reaching up, she undid the bun sitting atop her head. Her long dirty, blonde hair fell in luscious tendrils over her shoulders. A small shiver ran over her body, the cool night air and the tension of the situation keeping her alert. Even though she had no weapons and no way of reaching one before any of the men fired, she still needed to keep an illusion of control.

Her teeth grazed her bottom lip and she tossed nervous glances around the rooftop. She met Kasper’s gaze. He was dazed and bleeding from a head wound, leaving him blissfully unaware of their situation. 


It had taken many weeks to get to this point, but now Alexa understood what needed to be done. “I came to give myself up,” she announced confidently towards WET’s CEO, Frank Delacroix. “You win. I’m tired of running. Just let my friend go. You have what you want.”

“And you’re certain of that? Because, last I checked, I was $7.5 billion in the hole. You took something that doesn’t belong to you and I want it back.”

She felt a surge of adrenaline. Sweat trickled from her armpits and rolled down her sides beneath her shirt. As Delacroix approached, her heart pounded. Standing this close to the man she’d been pursuing for so long was bittersweet. Pulling her hand from her side, he slowly peeled back each finger before placing a small device inside. 

Alexa couldn’t bring herself to look at it. She continued studying Delacroix’s face until he turned and walked away. Alexa looked down at what he had given her and her breath caught in her throat. “What’s this for?”


“You’re going to do a job for me, being an expendable tool and all and if you’re caught well…I guess that would be getting rid of a pain in my side. Win-win.”

“Sorry but, I’m not very handy with computers. Why don’t you get one of your slack-jawed goons downstairs to handle it? ”

“Spare me the rhetoric,” Frank said, holding up an admonishing hand. “You know, you’re becoming quite the inconvenience. It’s just a shame we didn’t meet under better circumstances. Who knows? In a different life, you and I could have made great partners.”

“Thanks but, I already have a partner.” Frank’s phone rang and he looked down to answer it. Alexa motioned at Kasper who instantly picked up on her cue. Curling into a ball, he rolled into the man beside him, knocking him off balance.


Alexa rushed forward, picking up her fallen weapon and popped off a shot in Kasper’s direction. The man standing behind him crashed to the ground, accidentally discharging his own firearm into the second thug. He stumbled, catching himself just as he tumbled over the side of the building. Now dangling and yelling for help, Delacroix took the opportunity to rush the exit stairwell.


Alexa turned towards him. Just as she got a clear shot, the sound of a shotgun pumping behind her drew her away. She turned to face one last gunman. He kept both barrels trained on her.


Alexa knew without cover, she didn’t stand a chance. His gun exploded. Alexa screamed but, the second shot never came. The act was so fast she initially stood in shock. The final gunman’s mouth split open, spewing blood like a fountain as he dropped to the ground.

Behind him stood Kasper, eyes wide in shock, holding a switchblade in his right hand. The weapon dripped with blood and hit the floor with a clatter as he released it. Resting a beat, Kasper moved towards Alexa. 


Without warning, he grabbed her, pulling her in for a passionate kiss. She moaned, not fighting it—at first. But as the adrenaline began to wear, she pushed free and dabbed her thumb against her lips. “You’re bleeding,” Kasper said, looking down at her arm dangling at her side. “You’re shot. Holy shit, A, he shot you.”

“I know,” she replied, starting to feel the sting of the buckshot in her shoulder. “We need to get out of here. Now.”

“I’m right behind you.”


As Kasper drove, Alexa cleaned herself up in the backseat, making use of the small first aid kit and whatever else she could find. “I need to get you to the hospital.”

“NO! They report gunshot wounds to the cops. We can handle it. I’ll be ok.”

“You’re losing a lot of blood, A.”

“Kas, I’ll be fine. We just need to get the buckshot out and clean the wound. Trust me.” Wrapping her arm in a large piece of gauze, she rested her head against the back window as Kasper drove frantically out of town. “How was Mary?”

“Good. She’s good.”

“I need to see her.”

“I don’t know if that’s such a good idea.”

“It may be the last time I ever get to, K. I need to know she’s ok.” He sighed but didn’t argue. Turning the wheel in the direction of US 76, he began the 45-minute drive to Brooklyn Heights. 


The police were long gone and Alexa felt the pangs of guilt hit at the thought of making yet another mess for Detective Monroe to clean up. She knocked three times before the door to the rectory opened and she was looking into Mary’s mournful grey eyes. Mary smiled and stepped back, allowing Alexa inside and led her into the nave. For a while, the two women sat in a comfortable silence neither knowing exactly where to begin then, it was Alexa that broke the calm.

“You know I can never come back again.”

“I know you may think that but, Alexa, this is your home. It’ll be here when you’re ready to return.” The old woman held her hand as she spoke and Alexa took comfort in her forgiveness. Even facing death, Mary had a sense of tranquility that soothed her inner turmoil. Alexa reached over and gave her a firm squeeze before she stood.


“Alexa,” Mary said, turning in her seat towards her retreating back. The warm smile on her face made Alexa’s heart flutter as she waited on her to speak. “Happy birthday.” Alexa’s mouth stretched into a thin smile and she nodded as she started for the door.


“Was that helpful?” Kasper asked once Alexa made it back inside the car.

“Very.”

“Good. Now do you think we can do something about your arm?”

“Not quite,” Alexa groaned, shifting into a more comfortable position. “There’s still the matter of our little friend in the trunk.”

“Oh yeah…him,” Kasper said, peeling away from the curb. “Well, we could drop him off at the PD with a note and evidence of his ‘theft.’”

“And let him get sent off to a cozy country club of a prison? No, thanks. I promised mine would be the last face he’d ever see, and I always keep my promises. Make a right here. There’s a dockyard close by where I can commit his body to the earth.” Kasper turned, glancing back at her in the rearview. If they weren’t quick, his would not be the only body left on the docks.


<----Previous -- Continue---->

6 comments:

  1. Oh boy, I hope that isn't some foreshadowing that Alexa has breast cancer... :(
    I love how you throw in little hints of Kasper's ongoing affection for Alexa. <3 It's just too bad that her heart truly belongs to Gavin (though I am beginning to wonder if it still does anymore ;) ) and he's going to find her and make her his by tying the knot. If she'll ever let him of course. ;)
    This was a long action filled chapter and I enjoyed every second of it! I dunno how you crank out such amazing writing each week! How do you not get writer's block? :p
    Oh and you failed to answer me on how you get poses of sims in cars. ;) ;) If you don't want to reveal your secrets I understand. I'm just in awe over what you're able to capture in the Sims 3! You are a master at setting up scenes for your story! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kasper sometimes can't help himself. And in that life or death moment, he needed to feel her against him. She does still love Gavin but she can't focus on that right now. She also has no idea he's looking for her. And he has no idea what he'll find when he does which could affect his decision of marrying her.

      Woot! Thank you. I'm glad you liked it. I get writer's block all the time! That's why it took 5 years for this story to "air." Lol. All of this story is completed. I'm just releasing them now. But I started writing this in 2014, taking the shots and stuff as I completed each season. I wanted it to be totally done so I didn't have to place the story in "Hiatus" status like my others (After Midnight until its recent completion and Cold Blooded) are currently sitting and has been for nearly two years now.

      Lol sorry. I pose the sims in the positions I need. Then move the car on top of them. If they are sitting too low, I use the OMSP to raise them up and also move them closer to the steering wheel if necessary or out of the center console so there isn't any clipping. It's easy once you get it down but depending on the car/tint can be extremely frustrating. Taking the shots inside the car is the most irritating though. Gotta get the camera just right.

      Thank you for that! I enjoy that part. It helps that there is such amazing CC around that aids with what I'm going for also.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
    2. I see. I never thought to pose sims and then place them in the car (even using OMSP ;) ) Brilliant chica!!
      Yeah I had to put one of my best stories on hiatus 4 years ago because at the time my toddler daughter needed more attention from mommy and I was writing more than spending time with her. I felt bad doing that to my readers... :( 2 Years later I got back to writing, but started my Quantum Leap fanfic instead of finishing my original story. Now that the QL story is complete I am finally now back to my original story and just cranked out 2 new chapters! =D I'm trying to take it slow and will probably follow your advice with writing everything up first before "airing" it. ;) Thanks again! Loving this story!

      Delete
    3. I'm a huge fan of Fresh Prince's car creations because they look 'real" inside versus the EA blurry dashboards.

      MAN! That's me right now. I have very little time for anything because my kid is in his discovery years. Add that to his terrible twos at 15 months and I'm having a helluva time! Currently, I'm desperately trying to get my Halloween story completed but I have all of 4 chapters done so far (ugh!) It's gonna be a rush to completion with this one.

      Thank you again :D

      Delete
  2. Wow, I am perplexed as several scenarios crossed my mind w/ A's breast exam thing A) cancer b) she's pregnant neither of which would be great right now. I am not sure at this point about her and Gavin's relationship as fierce feelings develop when people are in her and K's position. I'm glad you take the time w/ poses and all that I gave up on them LOL. I only wished my stories were as good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting O.o. You're right, either circumstance would be really bad for her right now. She's already in a very dangerous situation. To add to that a medical emergency and all bets are off.

      Thank you :D It can take a lot (A LOT) of time to set up the scenes for poses and such. I have an entire document devoted to just the pose codes for each chapter of every story. As I write, I work out what poses will work for the scene and prepare the codes so I'm not scrambling once I log in. This is by far the best method, in my opinion.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete